Prep Time: 10†minutes
Cook Time: 5†minutes
Total Time: 15†minutes
- 1 Tablespoon butter for greasing pan
- 1 cup pecan or walnut pieces
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 7 ounces milk chocolate chips, chopped
- 11 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or good-quality semisweet chocolate such as Lindt, Tobler, or Hershey's Special Dark
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan with foil and grease well with butter.
Spread nuts on a medium baking sheet and roast until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. While nuts are hot, stir in 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle with salt.
Combine the condensed milk and all the chocolate in a large glass bowl or 4-cup measuring cup and melt in the microwave at 50 percent power about 3 minutes, stirring frequently (see Note). As soon as the chocolate is melted, remove from the microwave and stir in vanilla and roasted nuts. Pour into the prepared pan. Refrigerate to cool and set. Remove from pan, peel off foil, and cut into squares.
Note: To make on the stovetop, simply heat chocolate and condensed milk over low to medium heat in a heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until the chocolate melts. Then proceed as directed.
Yield: about thirty 1-1/2-inch squares
Recipe Source: Cookwise by Shirley O. Corriher (William Morrow)
Reprinted with permission.