Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) dark chocolate cake mix
- 1/4 cup special dark powdered cocoa
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 container (16 ounces) prepared chocolate frosting
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 package (about 16 ounces) white or chocolate bark coating mix
- Chocolate sprinkles for decoration, optional
Whisk together dry cake mix and cocoa powder. Add water, vegetable oil, and eggs, mixing only until combined. Spread in prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Crumble the cooled cake into a large mixing bowl. Stir in frosting and peanut butter chips by hand. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place cake balls on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid.
Melt bark coating pieces according to package directions. Dip cake balls in coating mix and place on a cookie sheet to let coating set. If you are using the chocolate sprinkles for decoration on top, dip 8 cake balls at a time and immediately sprinkle before the coating sets so the sprinkles will adhere. Refrigerate cake ball truffles until ready to serve.
Yield: about 75 candies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Balls Recipe Photo © 2009 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.