Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 (2-layer package) white cake mix
- 1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix powder (may substitute mixed fruit gelatin powder)
- 1-1/2 cups seedless watermelon cut from the center, cubed into 1-inch blocks, and processed to a puree
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips, optional
- 1/8 cup watermelon juice
- 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 ounces (1/2 of a large block) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/8 cup miniature chocolate chips, optional
In a medium bowl, whisk together cake mix and instant vanilla pudding mix or gelatin powder until combined. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat watermelon, egg whites, vegetable oil, and red food coloring until smooth. Add dry ingredients, half at a time, and mix until well-blended. Batter will be thick. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 40 to 45 minutes (30 to 35 minutes for sheet cake), or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature before frosting.
For the frosting, blend watermelon juice, butter, powdered sugar, and cream cheese until combined and fluffy. Add food coloring to achieve a green watermelon rind color, if desired. Frost cooled cake. Place chocolate chips sporadically around the cake to simulate seeds. Refrigerate to set frosting. Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
Yield: about 12 servings
Watermelon Cake Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Watermelon Muffins Recipe
Watermelon Chiffon Pie Recipe
Watermelon Pudding Recipe
Watermelon Pie Recipe
Cream Cheese Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Cranberry Apple Pie Recipe
Key Lime Pie Recipe
Fresh Peach Cobbler Recipe