Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Mocha Cake:
- 1/2 cup hot strong coffee
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 egg yolks (save whites)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/2 cup minature chocolate chips, optional
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6 ounces (3/4 of a large block) cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips, optional
Whisk cocoa powder into the hot coffee. Let cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour and baking soda. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in coffee/cocoa mixture, egg yolks, and sour cream until thoroughly combined. Add flour mixture, half at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in stiff egg whites and chocolate chips.
Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until cake tests done in the center with a toothpick. Remove cake layers from pans and cool to room temperature.
Place one layer on a cake platter and frost the top. Add the second layer and frost top and sides. Sprinkle with miniature chocolate chips, if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy.
Yield: 2 cups frosting