Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar (see Note)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fruit (kiwifruit, berries, peaches, etc.)
- 1-1/2 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream
- 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips, crushed or small candies, or additional fruit slices optional
Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites and beat until stiff. Whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the egg whites a tablespoon at a time, while beating on medium speed, until all is combined. The meringue should be shiny, white, and stiff. Fold in vanilla extract.
Reduce oven heat to 200 F. Mound the meringue on the pan in a round shape about 6 inches in diameter. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven, leaving meringue in the oven until it is cold or overnight.
Arrange fruit over the base of the pavlova meringue, top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with chocolate chips, crushed or small candies, and/or additional fruit.
Use a serrated knife to gently saw slices. Store leftovers in a covered container.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Note: If you cannot find superfine sugar, place granulated sugar in a food processor and process until the sugar crystals are down to half the original size. Then measure and proceed with the pavlova.
Pavlova Recipe Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.