Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 3 cups dried figs, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cups pitted dates (14 ounces), chopped
- 2 cups golden raisins (12 ounces)
- 2 cups dark seedless raisins (12 ounces)
- 1 box (10 ounces) dried currants (2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups diced candied citron (about 11 ounces)
- 1 cup diced candied pineapple (7 ounces)
- 1 cup red candied cherries (8 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced candied orange peel (7 ounces)
- 1 cup brandy
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups butter or margarine (4 sticks), softened
- 1 box (16 ounces) dark brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 2/3 cup milk
- 5 cups pecans or walnuts (1-1/4) pounds
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease twelve 5-3/4-inch by 3-1/4-inch by 2-inch mini-loaf pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; evenly grease paper.
In medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and baking soda.
In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and brown sugar until blended. Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, frequently scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to medium. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until blended, scraping bowl. Turn batter into larger bowl (for easier mixing). Stir in fruit mixture, including any brandy not absorbed by fruit, and pecans.
Spoon batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. Bake until toothpick insterted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Run thin knife around cakes to loosen from sides of pans and invert onto racks. Turn cakes, right side up, and cool completely. Remove waxed paper. Wrap cakes in plastic wrap, then in foil. Let stand in cool place, or refrigerate at least 1 month or up to 6 months before serving.
Yield: 12 cakes, 4 servings each
Each serving: About 387 calories, 4g protein, 59g carbohydrate, 17g total fat (6g saturated), 48 mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium.
Recipe Source: The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook edited by Susan Westmoreland (Hearst Books)
Reprinted with permission.