Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 round spice bottle, the size of a Twinkie
- 12 (12 x 14-inches each) pieces non-stick aluminum foil
- Pastry bag
- Vegetable oil spray
- 16-ounce box golden pound cake mix
- 4 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops lemon extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Beat cake mix, whipped egg whites, and water on medium speed until completely blended, about 2 minutes. Carefully fill the foil tubes, leaving 3/4-inch headspace. Bake about 30 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cakes cool, then remove foil. Use a toothpick to make 3 holes along the length of each cake. Wiggle the toothpick around the center to make room for the filling, taking care not to poke through to the other side.
Filling: Cream shortening and butter together in a medium bowl. With mixer running on medium speed, add powdered sugar and granulated sugar, a little at a time, until smooth. Add evaporated milk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Continue mixing until fluffy.
Spoon filling into a pastry bag with a No. 5 tip. Inject filling into each of the 3 holes in each faux twinkie cake and place hole-side-down on a serving platter or store in a covered container.
Yield: 12 faux twinkie cakes