Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped baking apples (Granny Smith, Rome, McIntosh, winesap, etc.)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, drained, and patted dry (optional)
- Optional Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
Place oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, and beat just until combined. Mixture will be thick. Fold in apples, walnuts, and optional raisins.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes until cake tests done with a toothpick. Let cool completely.
Whisk cream or milk into powdered sugar until it is just barely thin enough to drip. Scrape into a zip-top bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Cut a very small piece off one bottom corner and drizzle in a cross-wise pattern on the cooled apple cake.
Yield: about 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size
Apple Cake Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.