Prep Time: 15†minutes
Cook Time: 45†minutes
Total Time: 1†hour
- 12 (.6-ounce snack size) almond coconut candy bars (such as Almond Joy®), cold
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
Chop candy bars into rough 1/2-inch chunks. Pour into a bowl and place in the freezer until needed.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce to medium speed. Add vanilla, then eggs in a steady stream, beating until combined. Alternating between the flour mixture and the buttermilk, mix in one third at a time until incorporated, scraping down sides as needed. Batter will be thick. Fold in 2/3 of the candy bar chunks.
Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 candy bar chunks and grated coconut on top. Bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool to room temperature. Lift cake out of the pan using the foil. Cut and serve.
Yield: 24 to 36 servings, depending on cut size
Almond Coconut Cake Recipe Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.