Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 18 to 36 servings
- Cream Topping:
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup or half of a large 8-ounce block) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- Banana Cake Batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (8 Tablespoons or 1 stick), at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, pureed with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (1 cup banana puree)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) banana yogurt (see Note)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, or macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream (about)
Make the Cream Topping:
In a medium mixing bowl, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer. Add the egg and beat until incorporated and smooth. Set aside.
Make the Batter:
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar with the butter and vanilla until well-mixed. It will look crumbly. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending completely after each one. Add the bananas and mix until combined.
Add the flour mixture and yogurt to the butter mixture, a third at a time, alternating between the two until all is incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts of choice.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth. Drop dollops of the cream cheese topping on top of the banana batter, then smooth to cover.
Bake about 35 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool completely to room temperature.
Make the Icing:
Mix milk or cream with confectioners' sugar until smooth, adding enough liquid so it can be drizzled. Scrape into a zip-top bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Snip a small corner from the bottom of the bag and drizzle the icing on top of the banana cake. Let sit at least an hour to set.
Note: Sour cream or vanilla yogurt may be substituted for the banana yogurt.
To use as a bundt cake: Pour banana batter into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt cake pan. Spread cream topping evenly over banana batter. Bake about 1 hour.
Yield: 18 to 36 servings, depending on cut size
Chocolate Nut Banana Cream Cake Recipe Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Banana Cake with Cinnamon Glaze Recipe
Banana Choco-Chip Mini-Muffins Recipe
Bananas Foster Bars Recipe
Banana Nut Cheesecake Recipe
Banana Pineapple Streusel Muffins Recipe
Banana Zucchini Bread Recipe
Black Bottom Banana Cheesecake Bars Recipe
Chocolate Banana Cream Mini-Muffins Recipe
Processor Banana Bread Recipe
Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe