Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 hours
Total Time: 40 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cups (about 3 large stalks) celery, diced
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3-1/2 cups (about 2 14-ounce cans) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2-1/2 cups dry bread cubes
- 2-1/2 cups dry cornbread cubes
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
Sweat onions and celery in 1/2 cup of butter until limp. Add chicken broth, sage, thyme, and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Fold in bread and cornbread with a large fork. Taste and add salt if necessary. Fold in whole berry cranberry sauce.
Transfer to a greased casserole dish (keeping it loose) and bake, uncovered, 30 to 45 minutes, until top is lightly browned.
To use as a filling for poultry or meat, let stuffing cool to room temperature before continuing with the meat. Be sure to cook the meat right away after stuffing. Do not let it sit.
Yield: 8 servings
Fifty-Fifty Cranberry Stuffing Recipe Photo © 2008 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.