Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces grated Romano cheese
- 1-1/2 pounds butter
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 loaves French or sourdough bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Additional Hungarian sweet paprika for sprinkling
Place Cheddar cheese, Romano cheese, butter, garlic powder, paprika, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse until smooth.
Spread cheese mixture on bread slices and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Place on prepared pans.
Broil in batches until very browned and bubbly.
It is traditionally served with both a green salad topped with creamy blue cheese buttermilk dressing and a red cabbage salad at the restaurant.
Yield: About 12 servings, 2 slices each