Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening, preferably Crisco
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned, pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, plumped in hot water to cover
- for 10 minutes and drained
- Melted butter, for buttering the waffle iron
Place the milk, butter, and shortening in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until the butter and shortening have melted. Cool slightly.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the pumpkin puree. Stir in the cooled milk and shortening. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in the cranberries.
Preheat the waffle iron; this should take about 10 minutes.
Butter the preheated waffle iron and add about 1/2 cup batter. (It takes from 1/2 to 2/3 cup batter to make 1 waffle, depending on the size of your waffle iron.) Bake the waffles until they are golden and crisp. Serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe Source: Nicole Routhier's Fruit Cookbook by Nicole Routhier (Workman Publishing)
Reprinted with permission.