Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (and maybe a little more, see instructions)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Place flour mixture in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
Remove to a bowl and stir in pumpkin and milk. Mix just until moistened and a soft dough forms. If the dough is too wet to handle, stir in additional flour, just enough so you can handle it.
Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Using a floured biscuit cutter, cut into 2-inch circles. Place on prepared pan 1 inch apart and brush with melted butter. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
Serve pumpkin biscuits right out of the oven with butter, honey, or honey butter.
Yield: about 12 biscuits