Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Pizza Crust:
- 1 Tablespoon dry yeast
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour or sorghum flour (see note)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (see note)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder (Knox)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110 degrees F.) or non-dairy liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Extra rice flour for sprinkling
- Pizza Sauce:
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Toppings of your choice
Crust: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In medium mixer bowl using regular beaters (not dough hooks), blend the yeast, flours, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin powder, and Italian seasoning on low speed. Add warm milk, sugar, oil, and vinegar.
Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. (If the mixer bounces around the bowl, the dough is too stiff. Add water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, until dough does not resist beaters.) The dough will resemble soft bread dough.
Put mixture on a greased 12-inch pizza pan. Liberally sprinkle rice flour onto dough, then press dough into pan, continuing to sprinkle dough with flour to prevent sticking to your hands. Make edges thicker to hold the toppings.
Bake pizza crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Top Pizza Crust with sauce and your preferred toppings. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until top is nicely browned.
Calories, 153; Fat 1.5g, Protein 4g; Carb. 33g; Chol.1 mg; Sodium 635 mg; Fiber 3g (crust and sauce only)
Note: Available at health food stores by Authentic Foods, Bob's Red Mill, and Ener-G Foods.
Yield: 6 servings, 1 slice each serving
Recipe Source: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. (Avery)
Reprinted with permission.