Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 6 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Additional grated nutmeg for garnish
Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a large bowl to remove any accidental small cooked bits of egg. Add vanilla extract and nutmeg, stirring to combine. Pour into a glass pitcher, decanter, or container and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Refrigerate this egg custard mixture to chill at least 4 hours or up to 3 days before finishing.
When ready to serve, pour heavy cream into a bowl and whip until it forms soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into cold custard mixture until combined.
Serve eggnog in chilled cups or glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
• Cooked Eggnog with Brandy, Bourbon, or Rum Recipe
Yield: 12 to 16 eggnog servings