Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (filet mignon), 1-1/2 inches thick (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped watercress leaves plus (optional) additional leaves
Add shallots to drippings in skillet; cook 30 seconds. Stir in wine; cook, stirring, until browned bits are loosened from bottom of skillet. Stir in broth and boil 1 minute. Stir in cream; boil 1 minute longer. Stir in capers, mustard, and chopped watercress, if using.
To serve, spoon sauce over filet mignon steaks and garnish with watercress, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: About 334 calories, 27 g protein, 3 g carbohydrate, 22 g total fat (9 g saturated), 105 mg cholesterol, 799 mg sodium.
Source: The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook edited by Susan Westmoreland (Hearst Books)
Reprinted with permission.