Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 6 small dried red chiles such as Cayenne or Piquin
- 5 Tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pound cubed, boneless beef chuck
- 2 Tablespoons bacon fat or oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
Add the onions to the oil and saute until they are browned.
Place all the ingredients in a large pot or crockpot, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the vegetables and meat are very tender and start to fall apart. Add more water if necessary to thin to desired consistency.
Variation: Add diced potatoes and tomatoes that have been peeled and seeds removed for a heartier soup or stew.
Yield: 6 servings
Notes: Since hot paprika is hard to find, bring up the heat by adding small dried red chiles, rather than adding more paprika, which can make the soup too sweet.
Source: The Whole Chile Pepper Book by Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach (Little, Brown & Co)
Reprinted with permission.