Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons fat or oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups liquid (water, vegetable or fruit juice)
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut up
- 5 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut up
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (or any other green vegetable)
Heat fat in a large-size heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Coat the meat in the flour and brown in the fat. Add the liquid and cover tightly. Simmer over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours.
Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add frozen peas, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Purée stew in food processor to a smooth consistency.
Store in refrigerator up to 2 days; freeze 2-3 months.
Variation: Any vegetable can be substituted and 1/2 cup of uncooked rice may be substituted for the potatoes.
Yield: 4-5 cups of purée or 20-25 food cubes.
Source: The Complete New Guide to Preparing Baby Foods by Sue Castle (Bantam Books)
Reprinted with permission.