Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 (4-pound) fresh brisket of beef
- Water to cover
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 yellow onions, halved
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage links
- 6 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into quarters
- 1 (15-1/4-ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (38-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 (15-1/2-ounce) can garbanzo beans or chick peas, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add carrots, garlic, potatoes, bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, cabbage, and garbanzo beans or chick peas; simmer another 30 to 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat; drain off broth and pour into a tureen. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer brisket and sausage onto a cutting board; slice and transfer onto a serving platter. Place vegetables onto a serving platter. Serve the broth in small soup bowls.
Makes 6 servings
Source: What's Cooking America by Linda Stradley & Andra Cook (Chehalem Publishing)
Reprinted with permission.