Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) beef 7-bone roast (or other chuck roast)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound baby red (creamer) potatoes, scrubbed, skins on
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, peeled
- 1 onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup Coca-Cola© or other cola (not diet), at room temperature
- 1 cup tomato sauce (canned or homemade)
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 Tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Sprinkle 7-bone roast liberally with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-duty skillet until very hot, add the olive oil, and quickly sear the 7-bone roast on both sides.
Place seared roast in baking pan. Surround with potatoes, mushrooms, and carrots in an even layer. Spread sliced onions evenly over the top of the meat and vegetables.
Mix cola, tomato sauce, onion soup mix, paprika, oregano, and garlic powder in a bowl until combined. Pour evenly over meat and vegetables. Cover tightly with foil.
Roast for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let rest at least 15 minutes. Carve meat. Serve with vegetables and pan gravy.
Note: Use the same method in a large oval slow-cooker, cooking on low setting for 6 to 8 hours. Or, omit the vegetables (except the sliced onions), and cook the 7-bone roast alone as a main dish.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Coca-Cola® 7-Bone Roast Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.