Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 pound sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound white mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 (4 to 5 pounds) beef brisket
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano flakes, crushed
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
Season brisket on both sides with salt and pepper. Place on top of the vegetables, fat-side up. Sprinkle fat side of brisket with crushed oregano, then dry onion soup mix.
Cover crockpot and set on Low for 8 hours.
When done, remove brisket to a platter, cover with foil, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve with the vegetables and pot juices, accompanied by a green salad for a full meal.
Yield: 6 servings
Brisket with Sunchokes Recipe Photo © 2008 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.