Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 small shallot, minced (or substitute 1 slice of sweet onion, finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound tender beef, cut into 2-inch chunks (see note)
- 1 pound extra-large (21 to 24 count) shrimp, peeled (tails-on optional)
- 1/2 of a large sweet onion, cut into 1-1/2 inch chunks and separated
- 1 pound (about) thin bacon strips
Remove beef, shrimp, and onion from the marinade with a slotted spoon, reserving marinade. Boil marinade for 5 minutes and let cool.
Push skewer through the end of one bacon strip. Follow with a beef cube, wrapping bacon around one side of beef, and securing on the skewer. Follow with a piece of sweet onion. Add one shrimp, running skewer through both tail and head end so the shrimp forms a C-shape, wrap bacon around one side of shrimp, and follow with onion. Continue alternating beef, shrimp, and onion, on the skewers with the bacon forming an S-shape in between. Leave about 1/4 inch of space in between the pieces to allow heat-flow.
Heat grill or broiler to medium high. Grill shish kebabs until beef is medium rare and shrimp is opaque, turning kebabs to cook all sides. Baste occasionally with remaining boiled marinade.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings (about 2 cups marinade)
Note: Filet mignon and top sirloin steaks work well.
Orange Ginger Beef and Shrimp Shish Kebabs Photo © 2009 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.