Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 serrano chile pepper, sliced into thin rings (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper (sweet capsicum), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper (sweet capsicum), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 pounds (1-1/2 inches thick) top round London broil beef steak, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Tortillas, fresh salsa, guacamole, and sour cream for condiments
- Additional fresh cilantro for garnish
Add the chile pepper, bell peppers, sweet onion, and London broil to the marinade. Seal bag and toss to coat all pieces. Reopen the bag, squeeze out all the air, re-seal, and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Soak wooden bamboo skewers in cold water for 1 hour prior to assembling kebabs.
Preheat grill or broiler.
To assemble kebabs, thread two skewers through the beef and vegetables, beginning with the beef and alternating with the vegetables. (Double skewers makes the kebabs easier to turn.) You should be able to get about 5 beef chunks per pair of skewers. Reserve marinade for basting.
Grill kebabs ver medium heat, basting and turning to cook all sides, until the beef is medium-rare, about 15 minutes.
Serve fajita kebabs over cooked rice with an accompaniment of warm tortillas, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Yield: 8 servings