Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 orange, washed (for zest and juice)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced thick
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled and sliced thick
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds corned beef brisket, trimmed of fat, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
Layer onions in the bottom of a large oval crockpot and top with the potato slices. Place corned beef on top. Pour the apple mixture evenly over the top of the corned beef. Arrange cabbage wedges on top of the meat. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours.
Remove corned beef to a platter, cover with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing across the grain to serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe Photo © 2009 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.