Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 (about 4 pounds, 1st or 2nd cut) beef brisket
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup cola (not diet)
- 1 (1.5 ounces) package dry onion soup mix
Rub brisket on both sides with the olive oil. Sprinkle both sides with paprika, salt, and pepper. Place brisket fat-side up in the prepared roasting pan. Top with garlic, onion, and celery.
Whisk together tomato sauce, cola, and onion soup mix. Pour over the top of the vegetables on the brisket.
Cover with foil and roast 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until very tender. Baste with pan juices every 30 minutes.
Let rest 10 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve with pan juices.
The brisket may be made a day in advance, sliced, and refrigerated. Reheat in the gravy.
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
Coke Brisket Recipe Photo © 2010 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.