Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large (turkey-size) oven cooking bag
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 pounds flat-cut beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between your palms
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, peeled and left whole
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (Lipton brand recommended)
- 1 package mushroom gravy mix (Knorr brand recommended)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- Cooking spray (optional)
Using the onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper, season both sides of the brisket. Place brisket, fat-side up, in the cooking bag on top of the flour.
Spread potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and whole garlic cloves evenly around the outside of the brisket inside the bag. You may wish to lightly spray the tops of the vegetables with cooking spray so they do not discolor. Spread the thin-sliced onions on top of the brisket.
In a mixing bowl, combine onion soup mix, gravy mix, tomato juice, and water until combined. Pour on top of brisket and vegetables. Seal the bag with the plastic tie provided. Cut 4 (1-inch) slits in the top of the bag for ventilation.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing brisket. Slice brisket against the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and natural gravy from the bag.
Yield: 4 servings
Easy Beef Brisket with Vegetables Recipe Photo © 2011 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.
Suggested Related Recipes Beef Brisket with 40 Cloves of Garlic Recipe
Beer Braised Brisket Recipe
Coke Brisket Recipe
Easy Wine-Marinated Brisket Recipe
Simple Baked Brisket Recipe
Yankee Brisket Pulled Barbecue Recipe