Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 pound boneless top round steak or London broil, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
Place liquid smoke, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper in a large zip-top freezer bag. Seal and squish to combine. Place beef strips in the marinade, re-seal, and toss to coat. Open bag, squeeze out all the air, seal, and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 250 F.
Drain meat strips from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place a baking rack inside a jellyroll pan. Arrange beef strips on the rack in a single layer with room in between for air circulation. Bake for about 4 hours, until dry to the touch. Remove from oven and let air-dry in a cool dry place for another 24 hours.
Store in a covered container or ziptop bag.
Yield: about 3/4 pound beef jerky