Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups packed) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sesame seeds
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick foil, or Silpats.
Slice dough into 1/4-inch thick rounds and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned and firm. Let rest for 5 minutes and move to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container to keep them crispy.
Note: You can freeze the logs of dough after wrapping. Let thaw slightly in the refrigerator before cutting to bake, but be sure the dough remains cold enough to slice.
Yield: about 7 dozen cheesy gelt coin wafers
Hanukkah Cheese Gelt Recipe Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.