Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours, 35 minutes
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled (reserve 2 Tablespoons of fat)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 32 ounces (4 large blocks) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 12 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons minced chives
- Sliced fresh apples, toast wedges, and/or assorted cocktail crackers
Saute onion in bacon fat until softened and translucent. Add apples and garlic and continue to saute over medium heat an additional 2 to 3 minutes until apples begin to soften. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add eggs, wine vinegar, and whiskey, beating until smooth. Stir in apple mixture, bacon, blue cheese, remaining Parmesan cheese, and chives by hand.
Pour batter into prepared pan and place in the preheated oven. Let bake overnight for 8 to 9 hours (timing is not critical). It should be fairly firm and slightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on a rack at least 1 hour.
Cover the top of the cooled cheesecake with plastic wrap. Place an inverted plate over the top, turn it over, and remove the pan. Refrigerate the upside-down cheesecake at least 1 hour. Reinvert the cheesecake and remove plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
To serve as an appetizer, cut slices with a knife dipped in warm water and garnish with fresh apple slices, toast wedges, and/or cocktail crackers of choice.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings