Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef (ground chuck recommended)
- 1/2 pound Italian bulk sausage
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed between hands
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed between hands
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup chunky hot salsa, jarred or homemade
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam or preserves (sugar-free is fine)
Combine ground beef, Italian sausage, diced onions, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, pressed garlic, egg, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese, and cream. Do not over-handle or meatballs will become tough.
Form into 1-inch meatballs and place on racks so they are not touching each other. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through.
While meatballs are baking, bring salsa and raspberry jam to a simmer, stirring until well combined. (If you are using fresh homemade salsa, simmer for 5 minutes.)
Toss cooked meatballs with raspberry salsa until well coated. Serve in a chafing dish or crockpot to keep warm.
Yield: about 50 cocktail meatballs
Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Meatballs Recipe Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.