Prep Time: 3†hours, 20†minutes
Total Time: 3†hours, 20†minutes
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme (divided use)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons gin or vodka
- 10 ounces (2-1/2 cups) grated Swiss cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
Add Swiss cheese and ham and beat vigorously until evenly mixed. If you are using a food processor, take care not to overmix. The ham and Swiss cheese should retain some texture. This is a rather soft mixture and will be easier to form if it is refrigerated for 2 to 3 hours first.
Combine remaining thyme and the chives and spread on a large plate or sheet of wax paper. Dampen hands and divide the cheese mixture in half. Pat and press each half into a ball about 3 inches in diameter. Roll each ball in thyme and chive mixture, pressing so coating adheres. Wrap separately in plastic wrap and chill until served.
Yield: 2 cheese balls, about 32 servings total
PER SERVING: Cal 68 (71% fat) Fat 5 g (3 g sat) Trace fiber Chol 18 mg Sodium 97 mg Trace carb Calcium 92 mg
Recipe from: California Milk Advisory Board
Used with permission