Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed but unfolded
- 1/2 pound bulk pork country sausage, hot or mild
- 1/4 cup finely minced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet red bell pepper
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 large block), at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of hot sauce, to taste
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- Shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
On a lightly floured board, place unfolded thawed puff pastry sheet and roll out into a rectangle 12 x 14 inches and about 1/8-inch thick. Using a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut 24 rounds. Fit rounds into mini-muffin cups.
Gently saute sausage, sweet onion, red bell pepper, and garlic together until meat is no longer pink, breaking it up as you go. Drain off fat and cool to room temperature. Place 1/2 to 1 tablespoon sausage mixture into each pastry cup.
Blend cream cheese, dry mustard, sage, thyme, onion powder, salt, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, just until incorporated.
Spoon egg and cheese mixture over sausage in each cup. Top with a sprinkling of Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
Bake 10 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve warm.
May be baked ahead and frozen. Reheat in a 350-degree F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Yield: 24 mini quiche appetizers