Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 links of italian sausage, mild or hot, casings removed
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Two grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Clean the mushrooms with a mushroom brush or a wet paper towel. Remove stems, chop them, and reserve. Brush the mushroom caps with butter (save remaining butter). Set aside.
In a heavy skillet, saute crumbled sausage, chopped mushroom stems, and sweet onion over medium heat until sausage is cooked through and onion is translucent. Let cool slightly.
In a bowl, combine mozzarella, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Add cooked sausage mixture and remaining butter. Toss to combine. Spoon into buttered mushroom caps, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and place in a baking dish with sides.
Bake for 15 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings