Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces) of minced clams with juice
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 10 cloves of garlic (more or less to taste)
- 1 small onion diced (more or less to taste)
- Dash of Worcestershire
- Dash of Tabasco Hot sauce
- 1 (6-inch) round loaf of crusty bread, sourdough works well
- Additional crusty bread pieces for dipping
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Slice top from the round of bread and reserve. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut chunks out the center of the bread, leaving 1 inch of bread around the interior, to form a bowl for the clam dip. Reserve bread chunk innards and lid to use as dippers.
Mix margarine, clams, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, Worcestershire, and Tabasco sauces together until combined.
Pour clam mixture into bread bowl. Place bread bowl on a baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes, then sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve warm.
As your guests consume the dip from inside the bowl, you can tear or cut off parts of the bowl itself to serve. The bowl is the best part, since it usually ends up crunchy on the outside, but soaked with that great dip on the inside. Use this idea with any baked cheese dip.