Toasting almonds gives them a better flavor, thus enhancing your recipe. Here are three easy methods.
Difficulty Level: easy Time Required: 15 minutes
- Saucepan method:
- Place almonds in a heavy, ungreased skillet.
- Stir often over medium heat until golden brown.
- Oven method:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread nuts in one layer on ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Microwave method:
- Place 1/2 cup slivered almonds and 1 tablespoon margarine or butter in a 9-inch microwave-proof pie plate.
- Microwave on high, stirring every minute until brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toasting of nuts intensifies their flavor.
- Toasted nuts are less likely to sink in cake and bread batters.
- Almond yields: 1 pound = 3 cups halves or 4 cups slivered.