Homemade croutons are not only easy to make, they are tastier, since you choose your own favorite seasonings.
Difficulty Level: easy Time Required: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix your favorite fresh or dried herbs and spices with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Lightly brush flavored oil on both sides of bread slices.
- Stack as many slices as you can cut at one time.
- Cut into cubes the size of your choice.
- Spread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet.
- Bake until cubes are dry and crisp. Time will depend on the size and thickness of cubes, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Use within one week or freeze up to 6 months.
- Use low-fat dressing for a low-fat alternative to oil.
- Croutons can be ground up and used like bread crumbs.