Some recipes call for blanched almonds, which are almonds with the skins removed. This method is quick and easy.
Difficulty Level: easy Time Required: 5 minutes
- Place almonds in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water to barely cover almonds.
- Let the almonds sit for 1 minute and no longer.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Pat dry and slip the skins off.
- Don't let almonds sit in hot water too long or they will lose their crispness.
- 1 pound of almonds in the shell will yield about 1-1/2 cups shelled.
- 1 pound shelled = 3 cups whole or 4 cups slivered.