Learn how to easily make your own vanilla extract at home. Plan in advance, as it will take months to make the infusion. Great for gifts.
Time Required: 4 months
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- Place in jar with 3/4 cup vodka.
- Be sure bean is completely covered with vodka.
- Seal tightly.
- Let stand in a cool, dark place for 4 to 6 months.
- Shake jar occasionally during the standing time.
- Extract will strengthen upon standing.
- Store, tightly-sealed, indefinitely in a cool, dark place.
- Place a few drops of vanilla extract on a cotton ball. Place in custard cup in back of refrigerator to diffuse odors.
What You Need
- vanilla bean
- glass jar or bottle