Homemade croutons are not only easy to make, they are tastier, since you choose your own favorite seasonings. Learn how to make homemade croutons to garnish salads and soups.
Time Required: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix your favorite fresh or dried herbs and spices with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Lightly brush flavored oil on both sides of bread slices.
- Stack as many slices as you can cut at one time.
- Cut into cubes the size of your choice.
- Spread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet.
- Bake until cubes are dry and crisp. Time will depend on the size and thickness of cubes, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Use within one week or freeze up to 6 months.
- Use low-fat dressing for a low-fat alternative to oil.
- Croutons can be ground up and used like bread crumbs.
What You Need
- olive oil
- airtight container