Caramelized onions give a rich sweetness to recipes. Find out how simple they are to make.
Time Required: 40 minutes
- Slice onions into 1/4-inch wide rings.
- Heat butter or combination of butter and oil in heavy skillet.
- Add onions and a small amount of sugar (optional) and slowly cook over medium heat.
- Cook until onions are caramel colored, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes.
- For more flavor, add a touch of vinegar at the end of cooking, stirring to deglaze the pan.
- Large, mild-flavored onions work best.
- Caramelized onions can be frozen in an airtight container up to three months.
- To remove onion smell from hands, wash with soap and then rub hands against a chrome faucet.
What You Need
- skillet or frypan