Baby boomers fondly remember the simple classic green bean casserole as a Thanksgiving favorite. This version is updated a bit to add fresh mushrooms. It also uses frozen green beans which contain less salt and retain more color. The traditional dish is considered almost decadent these days with cream of mushroom soup and crispy fried onions on top. Feel free to make the noted substitutions to fit your diet, but it will not taste quite the same. You may find you will need more salt than when using canned green beans.
• Green Bean Casserole Recipe
• Thanksgiving Recipes, Favorite Foods, and Cooking Tips
• Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
• Follow me on Twitter
• Become a Home Cooking Facebook fan
• Home Cooking on Pinterest
Green Bean Casserole Recipe Photo © 2009 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.