1. Food

Peggy Trowbridge Filippone

Prunes are plums? Plum Recipes

By August 24, 2013

Plum Recipes
Yes, indeed! Prunes are simply dried plums. I don't know why prunes have such a bad connotation to the younger generations, but a few years ago, the prune industry banded together to change the perception of the general public by essentially re-naming prunes to reflect their true origin and marketing them as dried plums. Check out the many plum and prune recipes, such as Plum Jam, Chicken with Vermouth Prune Sauce, Sweet Potato and Leek Gratin, and more.

Plum Recipes and Cooking Tips
More Fruit Recipes
Become a Home Cooking Facebook fan
Home Cooking on Pinterest
Plums Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.

Comments

July 14, 2010 at 1:08 am
(1) Jenna says:

Prunes are a type pf plum. So yes it is a plum but its of a distinct plum species. The flavor is a little different than that of a regular plum. From my understanding a prune is a bit more fiberous than a regular plum.

July 14, 2010 at 5:28 am
(2) Peggy says:

Hi Jenna!
There may be some varieties of plum that make better prunes, but prunes, per se, are simply dried plums. Perhaps you are speaking of its botanical name Prunus domestica?

Kindest regards,
Peggy
Visit Home Cooking!

July 21, 2011 at 10:34 am
(3) Mario says:

Yes, I second that Peggy. Prunes are simply dried plums, at least what we call them here in the UK. No need to re-invent the bike haha..

August 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(4) Diana says:

A prune is a type of small, slightly oblong, plum. It has more fiber than regular a plum, and hence is better for drying and for making “dried prunes” for constipation purposes. Fresh prunes are sold in Europe, as they are popular for cooking and making tarts. The plums sold in America are round, are larger, and have less fiber than their European counterparts.

December 20, 2011 at 12:34 pm
(5) Game Niche Downloads says:

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in internet explorer, could check this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a good element of other folks will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

December 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(6) Product Reviews says:

Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your submit is simply nice and that i could suppose you’re a professional on this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to take hold of your feed to stay updated with approaching post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

December 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm
(7) DIY Guides says:

Valuable information. Fortunate me I found your website accidentally, and I am surprised why this coincidence didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

December 20, 2011 at 9:20 pm
(8) Tesla Tutorials says:

Thanks for every other informative website. The place else could I get that type of info written in such an ideal means? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the glance out for such information.

September 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm
(9) Deb says:

We have 20 acres of orchards and we raise prunes. Our favorite variety is the Italian Prune. They may be in the same family as the plum but a prune is not just a dried plum. A prune by any other name is still a prune and they are delicious.