1. Food

If you've been out partying too much, you'll definitely want to avoid a hangover. Alcohol consumption dehydrates and leaches the body of potassium. Don't take pain relievers before going to bed. Alcohol combined with pain relievers have been proven to cause stomach ulcers. Instead, drink at least 16 ounces of water and have a banana or two before sleeping. Yes, it's that simple! Bananas are probably the most potassium-rich food that is available worldwide and year-round. If you cannot stomach fresh bananas, try one of these banana recipes to regain that lost potassium.

Comments

September 1, 2006 at 11:31 pm
(1) JK says:

Excellent advice re: hangover prevention (and the key word is prevention – not cure or remedy). Eating a couple of bananas (or, less preferably, taking a potassium tablet) will almost always eliminate hangovers, esp. headaches associated with dehydration. Should be accompanied by a glass of fruit juice or water. Gatorade or similar sports drinks will help, but the best prevention lies in the ordinary, unsung, but tasty banana. Try it!

September 2, 2006 at 3:16 am
(2) homecooking says:

I’ve been telling this to my young over-indulging friends for years. It really does work. Of course, the best prevention is not to drink in the first place, but who amongst us has not over indulged at some time or another? Thanks for the comment!

Peggy
Home Cooking

October 20, 2006 at 12:00 pm
(3) SATX says:

Excellent remedy. Adding B6 & B12 before bedtime as well really rejuvenates the body for the next day.

October 21, 2006 at 6:57 pm
(4) homecooking says:

Thanks for the added tip, SATX!

Peggy
Visit Home Cooking!

July 26, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(5) John says:

Another remedy is natural coconut water (pure is best) because it has more potassium than a banana and is very low in acidity. I use it for bachelor parties and the like and people are always amazed, ZICO coconut water specifically because there’s no added sugar or preservatives. Also great to avoid night-time or excerise induced cramping.

Cheers!

February 6, 2012 at 9:54 am
(6) J.C. says:

I had a hangover that was mostly a headache and mild nausea. Thought I would give the banana remedy a try because I actually had some around. Guess what, IMMEDIATE relief!!!! Thank you so much for this advice. I can now salvage the rest of my day that would have been wasted in bed!

November 12, 2012 at 2:20 am
(7) john says:

yep, its very effective…

December 29, 2012 at 8:44 am
(8) Allan says:

Amazing and very effective, just ate 2 bannana’s and I feel better already. I was ill 10 minutes ago, although I’m not 100%. I do feel much better